Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Stampede Weekend

One of the iconic things that takes place here in Calgary is the Stampede. It is almost 2 whole weeks of events all over the city. I missed most of it while I was in Utah. Jeff saw part of the parade one day and said it was like 3 or more hours long. The interesting thing is that all of the sudden the people here become cowboys and girls. I don't know where they all came from but I felt like I was drowning in a sea of cowboy hats. When people refer to the stampede they mostly refer to the fair type thing that takes place. It is really like a state fair on crack. It was HUGE. So many rides, food, concerts and live stock. Mostly soooo many people were there. We did go on a Saturday night so I guess that is to be expected (plus it was the last weekend it was open). Unfortunately we did ride any of the rides but we had fun anyway. 


The reality is that, like most fairs, it is all about the food. Not just any food. The deep fried and greasy kind. What more could you ask for. 


He insisted that he had to get a corn dog. Nasty but whatever :)


This is a waffle stick with chocolate and whipping cream. Pretty good.


Yes this is a deep fried Snickers. It was a little too much. I thought my arteries might explode after that one.


We did not get either of these but heard the pop tarts were good. What will they think of next. Jeff said he saw a sign that said last year they did deep fried Jelly Bellies. Not sure that would be so good. 

That weekend we also had a bbq for some people at Jeff's work. It was at this pretty park. Jeff participated in the some of the games. 


Sack Races. He didn't win :(


Check out that face. He was really concentrating on catching that water balloon.



Jane testing the water in the pond.


Oh so precious family pic. 

One last thing that we did that weekend was to grill a pizza. If you have never done this I would highly recommend it. I think that this is the only way Jeff will make pizza anymore. He loved it and I did too. It really is a lot easier to do than you would think. Try it. You won't be disappointed. 


Now that I have sufficiently overwhelmed everyone with pictures and such I will say good bye for now. 

6 comments:

  1. Great post~ But don't know if you want to keep the corn dog picture up. Its a little to explicit, I think. hahahaha! Miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna know how to grill a pizza...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that pizza looks amazing!tell jeff good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's easy, you just grill the dough on one side, flip it over and put the toppings on, then throw it back on the grill. The secret is to use lots of flour or it'll stick to everything. Quite delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmm, sounds awesome! Got a good dough recipe, or buy frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey is this Dan or Chris? It's a dough recipe, I don't do that frozen garbage.

    ReplyDelete