Tuesday, May 17, 2011

For the love of food

So as most of you know Jeff and I love to eat. Jeff always jokes that the thing I get the most excited about is food. One of the things that we love to eat is mexican food. We could literally eat tacos or burritos just about every night for dinner. It is a little sad but it is true. We don't do this, though. I always try to mix it up. So when we got up here and couldn't find corn tortillas we were shocked. Seriously, I looked in 4 or 5 different stores and nothing. Crazy. So we searched and searched and finally found a small market that specializes in Mexican fare. Thank goodness for that. We are also on the hunt to find a good mexican restaurant but nothing really yet. (Viva Michoacan)
I am also a sucker for cupcakes. I have been for some time. I remember in high school making a yellow cake mix with chocolate frosting into cupcakes. I would sit and devour 5 or more in one sitting. So I am always on the hunt for good cupcakes. Most of the time when I travel I will find a cupcake place. We got these last weekend.



These cupcakes were good but nothing spectacular. As I sat there eating them, I realized that there has been only one time when I have gotten a cupcake and didn't think I could make it at home. So I made a decision.....no more buying cupcakes for a while. I will just make them. Thanks to Vanessa I have a cupcake cookbook with lots of delicious looking recipes. So new goal: make cupcakes. I will keep you all apprised of how it works out for me. I just love them so much that I couldn't go without them and i keep thinking that I should bake more. I really love to cook but baking hasn't been my thing as much. Jeff has been the baker in the family so far. He makes a mean loaf of bread and some delicious pizza dough.


Does she take after her parents? I think so. The love of food is starting so early.

Here are some pics that I took of her recently. It happened to be a little warmer out so I took advantage.


Behind Jane is the golf course that we live on.





She didn't love being on the grass as much as sitting on the chair. There was a loud machine close by and it was kind of windy. Can you guess where that flower ended up?

3 comments:

  1. I've never made a great cupcake. I've tried - and sure, they are usually good (I mean, they are cupcakes afterall - so they don't suck) but they are never as amazing as what I can get from most bakeries. So good for you for being good at cupcakes. Wish I was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a recipe book called "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World." I have yet to actually make anything from it. I'm not going to lie: I bought the book because Sara Quin wrote the forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I never said that I was good at cupcakes. I am just going to give it and try and see if I can make them as good. I might fail but we shall see. Annemarie thanks for your honesty :) You should make something and we can exchange cupcake recipes.

    ReplyDelete