Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Aftermath


This is what the clouds looked like last night at sunset. Pretty ominous, right? Well the news said that all the action was taking place south and east of us. There were lots of tornado warnings, hail and thunderstorm warnings on TV last night. When we woke up at midnight to the sound of the tornado alarm; we knew the storm hadn't missed us. Luckily, no tornado close by. For about an hour, it seemed like someone had strobe light on outside. The thunder was pretty loud as well. So Jane naturally woke up. During this time the hail started. It poured down hail for about 10-15 minutes straight. They were about the size of M&Ms.


The hail was so loud on the roof of our back awning. So we got out of bed and went into the front room to watch it fall and destroy.
Jeff and I have worked really hard to fix up our yard this year and plant a garden. We have put A LOT of time, A LOT of energy and A LOT of money into it. It wasn't anything that 10 minutes of hail couldn't take care of.

Here is our front flower bed.





All of these flowers were standing tall and had blossoms on them. This is not the worst part. I had just really found my love of gardening. I would tend to it every day. Our greens (Spinach, Kale, Lettuce, Cabbage, etc.) were doing really well. Only a couple of more weeks and I could have pulled them out to eat.


                          The garden                                               Romaine


                               Kale                                                  herb garden

Just last night, Jeff went and got more soil and FINALLY planted our tomatoes and peppers. Ironic.



I can't even tell you how sad I am about this. Do we just cut our losses or do we spend more money and replant? Sorry this was so extensive. I guess I just had to vent a little. To make matters worse, Jane was up for a couple of hours in the night because of the storm. Now we are both tired and cranky. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm crying for you. We love our garden and I couldn't imagine how I would feel if after all of our hard work a storm wiped it out in 10 short minutes. Plus, we know how annoying and frightening those hailstorms and tornado warnings can be. We had a real close one pass through the night before we moved west and we happily said good riddance to the midwest and tornados. I don't know what to tell you about replanting. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad for you! We lost our garden last year and it just makes your heart hurt. All of that hard work down the drain. It was late in the year for us so we didn't start over, but I would if I were you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first picture is so ominous. So sad to see the damage to your garden. I hope some of the plants are able to bounce back. We read an article about "torturing" your tomato plants to get better tomatoes--but this might be too much torture.

    ReplyDelete