Thursday, September 8, 2011

Nothin Much

My mom told me that I needed to post something on our blog. She said that she keeps coming here and there is nothing new. I realized that it has been a while since I did post anything. I guess I haven't because our life hasn't been too eventful lately. We have spent a lot of our time lately planning our trip to Hawaii. But also trying to figure out our holiday plans. Las Vegas for Christmas and possibly Utah for Thanksgiving (it is still in the works).
I was thinking this morning about what I could post about that might be interesting. Then I was thinking about the song that I woke up singing this morning. Sometimes I am really quite surprised at what songs will be in my head. I assume that would have heard them somewhere but often they are so random that I can't remember hearing them in years. Like this morning, the 'that's what friends are for song'. I don't know if that is the actual title but I don't think I have heard it in forever. Maybe it is a sign because I was thinking that I should write about some of the friends we have made since being here. You know it is amazing the difference it can make to have friends or not. We didn't for most of our time being here but lately have been hanging out with some people and it makes a difference in how we feel about being here.
Well about a month ago we went to the Zoo with the Cartwrights (Amy, Brennan and Hyrum). They are a family that moved here from Provo and so are also strangers here in this strange land. We can commiserate together about the things we don't like about Canada. It is fun.


Even though he doesn't look super happy here, Hyrum is quiet the cutie. Jane loves climbing all over him. It is probably a good thing that he isn't too mobile yet as he might really get back at her for all the times of her hitting and pushing him.


Jeff and the bear coordinated their outfits.




Jane was more fascinated by the trees than most of the animals. Maybe next year it will be more exciting for her.


Why do we even buy Jane toys when trash is just as fun to play with. Overall the zoo was a little disappointing. The biggest part was Canadian wildlife and we can go into Banff to see those animals. Plus zoos do make me feel a little sad. I mean it is a little fun to see the different animals but sad that they have to be in cages so that we can say that we have seen a giraffe.
Over this last weekend we went on a hike with the Harkers. Amy and I visit teach Jacqui and learned that we have lots in common. They have 3 super cute little kids. Two of them are in nursery with me. We hiked up to a place called Troll Falls. I didn't really understand why they called it that because the falls were really pretty.







There was also this crazy girl getting her picture taken in a wedding dress. She was in the water with it. I hope that it wasn't her actual dress. After the hike we went to the Harkers for dinner and ate salad out of super delicious lettuce and tomatoes from their garden. I have to say that I have a bit of garden envy. Theirs was pretty amazing and I hope that I can have a good garden like that some day.
So as our time winds down here in Calgary (only three weeks, but whose counting) we find ourselves being a bit sad to leave. We didn't think that we would feel sad at all but meeting such great people changed our minds. Don't get me wrong, there are other good things about Calgary and are grateful for our time here.
So now we are just waiting for my mom to get here for a visit. Also there is a big milestone coming up for Jane. More on that later.

4 comments:

  1. I've numbered my comments because I have so many.
    1. I wonder what your post would have been about if you woke up with a BeeGee's song in your head?
    2. The Cartwrights seem awesome, and their last name makes me happy from the Seinfeld episode in the Chinese Restaurant. Cartwright? Cartwright?! I bet they get that all the time.
    3. I wonder if the bride was doing one of those "trash the dress" shoots, where brides destroy their dresses after their weddings. Sad sad commentary on how much we are okay with wasting things, even if someone else could use it or needs it. Just google to see pictures on what some of them do.
    4. I think I can see a troll at troll falls! It is wearing a green shirt. :P
    5. YOU ARE GOING TO HAWAII?? Where have I been? We need to skype!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am going to number my responses because I have so many.
    1. Well it would have been about how deep my love is but nobody want to hear about that, except maybe Jeff :)
    2. They are great and I didn't even remember that from Seinfeld. Now I am going to have to ask them.
    3. Yeah we waste too much but then again my wedding dress is just sitting in the closet. Maybe you could borrow it when you get married :)
    4. He said that it was troll because it is small but I said trolls are ugly. Don't tell Jeff which one you are referring to.
    5. Yes we do need to Skype. Why are you avoiding me all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, only 3 weeks left!? Your time in Canada has gone by really fast...for me. Don't tell Preston you're going to Hawaii, he's been BEGGING me for 6 years, he's gonna be major jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I'm going to number my responses because after Megan & Kim have done it I realized it must be the COOL thing to do~

    1.Um...well, just so you know Kim, I would like to know how deep your love is. No need to second guess yourself like that.
    2.No worries Kimmy, cuz Megan is just making that story up about Seinfeld so she could have a reason to number her responses.
    3.If I'm completely honest with myself, which I always try to me, I wish I was the ONE in the wedding dress under the waterfall. Then I could be the one doing all the wasting. Cuz sometimes its just FUN~
    4.Jeff already struggles to like me so....no comment on the fourth response.
    5.We need to all Skype TOGETHER! Freak....
    6.Hey Megan....wanna go to Hawaii?

    Love you both.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete